Accidents on private property the injured party was invited to enter (e.g. supermarket)

In the event you have been injured on private property, due to the negligence of someone else, you may be in a position to recover compensation for the injuries which you have suffered.

There is a responsibility and a duty of care to ensure that public spaces on private property are safe and there are no hazards. The owners, or tenant, is responsible for ensuring the safety of visitors at their property. If you have a fall in a public place on private property you should seek medical attention immediately, report the incident and gather information around the incident. It is important to query who is responsible for the area in question where an incident occurs. Following this, you can then speak to one of our personal injuries solicitors and receive advice on the next steps.

Time Limits

Like most personal injury claims, the claim for compensation must be commenced within two years of the date of the accident and there is a statutory requirement to notify the other party involved, or their insurer, within one month of the incident if you are pursuing a claim. There are a number of exceptions to the two year time limit, for example minors and persons of unsound mind.


In every personal injury claim, a medical report is required from your treating doctor, usually a general practitioner although it can also be from a specialist, for example an orthopaedic surgeon where there are fractures or broken bones. The severity of the injuries will determine the compensation available which is based on the new personal injuries guidelines.

We have over 40 years experience in personal injuries law and will provide comprehensive legal advice throughout the personal injuries process. If you require advice in relation to an accident on private property, please contact us on 01 4900121 or alternatively send an email to with your contact details and a summary of the accident.