There is no specific description of an accident at work and each accident will have its own circumstances. We have experience with dealing with a variety of accidents, namely:

  • Slip and fall in the office due to an area not cleaned properly;
  • Injury from faulty equipment;
  • Injury due to improper training;
  • Exposure to hazardous materials;
  • Building site injuries;
  • Retail staff injures;
  • Restaurant and bar staff injuries;

It is important that you seek medical attention and inform your employer of the accident and complete an incident report form, if available. Following this, it is important that the details of how the accident occurred are ascertained.

Psychiatric Injuries

An employee who is suffering from work related stress or bullying in the workplace should bring the conduct to the attention of their employer. While many employees may not wish to raise an issue with their employer, it is important that an employer is put on notice of the issues and has the opportunity to prevent it occurring.

There are three strands to a claim for psychiatric injury in the workplace, namely:

  1. The injury from the bullying and stress must have been caused in the workplace;
  2. The employee must be diagnosed with a recognised psychiatric illness (depression, PTSD, anxiety and panic attacks.
  3. The injuries must have been reasonably foreseeable. The notification to the employer will assist any claim to prove that the employer should and could have prevented the injuries.

For further information on psychiatric injuries, please see the information on PTSD Injuries.

Time Limits

Like most personal injury claims, the claim for compensation must be commenced within two years of the date of the accident and there is a statutory requirement to notify your employer, or their insurer, within one month of the incident if you are pursuing a claim. There are a number of exceptions to the two year time limit, for example minors and persons of unsound mind.


In every personal injury claim, a medical report is required from your treating doctor, usually a general practitioner although it can also be from a specialist, for example an orthopaedic surgeon where there are fractures or broken bones. The severity of the injuries will determine the compensation available which is based on the new personal injuries guidelines.

We have over 40 years experience in personal injuries law and will provide comprehensive legal advice throughout the personal injuries process. If you require advice in relation to a workplace accident, please contact us on 01 4900121 or alternatively send an email to with your contact details and a summary of the accident.